July 13, 2020

From Gerald R. Lucas

Design and Restructure covid-19: day 125 | US: GA | info

I’m down to it: I’ve dug into my fall semester syllabi. I’ve tried to simplify my syllabi, but I might just be making them more complicated. The more I learn about MediaWiki, the more I want to tweak this web site. Well, if nothing else, I am having fun.

20200713-wikipedia-01.jpg

My new thing is subpages. So, I thought I could make a top page for all of my courses, then just use subpages to detail semester syllabi. So, each class will fall under Fall 2020. I have tabs transcluded onto each page of the syllabus. I think it's pretty slick, though it is more complicated to set up. Still, I set up the pages for my first class, then I just copy most of it to the others, since a lot of the content is transcluded from templates.

The most time-consuming part will be writing new quizzes and tests for each class. Yet, after all this is finished, HUMN 1011 and ENGL 2111 should run themselves.

For WritDM, I’m going to change the project a bit, making it two parts: the first will be due before midterm, and it will be getting The Mailer Review volume 12 posted to Project Mailer. The second part, I think, will involve the class collaborating on a single entry for Wikipedia:WikiProject Women in Red, hopefully an artist, educator, or activist—maybe a Georgia woman. I’m going to have to look into this a bit more, but I have had pretty good luck having the whole class work on just one article. Many of their issues normally revolve around choosing a notable topic. This would solve those issues before we begin.

I’ll be working on this for the next couple of weeks.