December 16, 2022
BAM! I just updated this site and Project Mailer to Mediawiki 1.39.0. Having successfully updated LitWiki yesterday gave me confidence that I could upgrade these much-more-important sites successfully. PM was pretty straightforward, since I use the Vector skin. This site, however, uses the Chameleon skin (v4) which requires composer to install and update. The hardest part of the whole thing was getting composer updated and working correctly. After that, the rest went swimmingly.
The skin has had some updates, but basically it looks the same. I think it tweaked how it displays images, especially in galleries. It would be fun to change the theme, but I’m not sure I’m ready for that, nor is there another ready-made theme I like. I like Citizen, but I wonder how difficult it would be to implement. Maybe later.
Since these two sites share a server, I made it so they could share an extensions folder. That way, I only have that folder to update in the future. This might prove to be a problem when I do the next updates, but I’ll see. Currently, it seems to operate well.
Poking around, everything seems to be working. I’m pretty pleased.