This document is meant to be used on the screen. It is both an expanded and hypertextual cv designed as an index for my portfolio. Links further detail each entry with pages from this and other sites. Also available: my print cv.
For full contact information and links to my professional social media accounts, see my about page.
Ph.D., University of South Florida, Tampa, May 2002
20th-Century Literature and Theory; Technology and Media in English Studies; eLearning — 4.0 GPA
M.A., University of South Florida, Tampa, May 1997
Modern and Contemporary Literature; Russian Literature — 4.0 GPA
B.A., University of South Florida, Tampa, May 1994
English Literature — 3.85 GPA
Professor of English
Middle Georgia State University, Department of Media, Culture & the Arts, GA 2015-Present
Designed and taught undergraduate courses: Voices and Visions: A Survey of Science Fiction; Interdisciplinary Humanities (Online)
Associate Professor of English
Middle Georgia State College, Department of Media, Culture & the Arts, GA 2007-2015
Designed and taught undergraduate courses (selected): Introduction to Digital Humanities; Norman Mailer’s America; Writing for Digital Media; Cyberpunk; eText Authoring with iPads; Digital Humanities on iTunes U; Modernism; Utopia and Apocalypse; Metaphysical Science Fiction
Assistant Professor of English
Macon State College, Department of Humanities, GA 2002-2007
Designed and taught undergraduate courses (selected): Literary Theory; Speculative Fiction; Writing Second Life; Science Fiction and Futurism; Technology and the Creative Artist; Senior Seminar in New Media; World Literature I & II Online
Instructor, European Council
University College London, UK 2009 & 2011
A five week study abroad program sponsored by the University System of Georgia. Taught World Literature II and Popular Culture: London as Text in 2009, and two sections of Photo London in 2011
University of South Florida, FL 1995-2002
Designed and taught undergraduate courses (selected): Images of the Body in Contemporary Literature; Advanced Technical Writing: Graphics, Typology, and Design; The Technological Imagination in Literature; Introduction to Contemporary American Fiction; Technical Writing: Hypertext / MOO: Authoring and Theory; Introduction to Literature: Issues in Technology; First-Year Composition II: The Jazz Age
USF Continuing Education, FL 2000-2001
Designed and taught courses in HTML & CSS coding and web design
Hillsborough Community College, FL 1997-1998
Taught Freshman Composition I and II
- Norman Mailer: Works and Days, Editor. J. Michael Lennon and Donna Pedro Lennon. Atlanta: Norman Mailer Society: 2018.
- Review of The Cinema of Norman Mailer edited by Justin Bozung. The Mailer Review Vol. 11 (2017).
- “Every You, Every Me.” Fiction. The Mailer Review Vol. 10 (2016).
- “Project Mailer 2015.” The Mailer Review Vol. 9 (2015).
- Review of Buckley and Mailer: The Difficult Friendship that Shaped the Sixties by Kevin M. Schultz. The Mailer Review Vol. 9 (2015).
- “Teaching Norman Mailer in the Cloud.” The Mailer Review Vol. 7 (2013).
- Review of The Executioner’s Song rerelease by Dave Eggers. The Mailer Review Vol. 7 (2013).
- “Norman Mailer and the Novel 2.0.” The Mailer Review Vol. 5 (2011).
- “Speculative Fiction.” The Encyclopedia of Twentieth-Century Fiction. Wiley Blackwell, 2011.
- “World.Lit: Envisioning Literary Education Online.” Teaching Language and Literature Online. Ed. Ian Lancashire. New York: MLA, 2009.
- Faust QuickNotes. eNotes. (2008).
- “The Research Essay Resources.” Chapter 10 in Reading and Writing about Literature. Phillip Sipiora. Englewood Clifs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2001.
- “James Joyce’s The Dead.” Reading and Writing about Literature. Phillip Sipiora. Englewood Clifs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2001.
- Review of Cybertext: Perspectives of Ergodic Literature by Espen Aarseth, Computers and Composition 16.2 (1999).
Web Publications (Selected)
- “Distributed DH (Digital Humanities).” The Synapse (Jun. 2015).
- “The Liberal Arts Are Dead.” The Synapse (Mar. 2015).
- “Recommended Apps for Higher Education.” Medium (Jan. 2014).
- “Readmill: A Review.” Medium (Dec. 2013).
- “Digital Citation.” Medium (Dec. 2013).
- “Defining Digital Humanities.” Medium (Oct. 2013).
- “WooThemes’ Sensei: A Review.” Writing Digital Media (July 2013).
- “Three Visions of Science: Lem’s, Tarkovsky’s, and Soderbergh’s Solaris.” Ragnatela Magazine 3 (2004).
- “Why Not Open Source? Ethical Concerns about Microsoft in the Academy.” Writing Digital Media (March 2002).
- “Healthy Blasphemy: Dissenting Discourses in Rushdie and Bulgakov.” Medium (Oct. 1997).
- Project Builder, Editor, Norman Mailer: Works and Days. With J. Michael Lennon, 2015.
- Project Leader, Editor, Curator, Project Mailer, Fall 2014-present.
- Online Editor, The Mailer Review, Fall 2014-present.
- Wiki Writer / Editor, “J. Michael Lennon” on Wikipedia, Nov 2013.
- Writer MSC OWL: Title III Grant Project for developing digital resources, Fall 2002.
Honors and Awards
- Nominee, The Regents’ Teaching Excellence Award for Online Teaching, State of Georgia, Summer 2014
- Norman Mailer Fellow, the Norman Mailer Writers Colony, Salt Lake City, UT, 2014
- Grant Recipient, “The Post-PC Project,” Middle Georgia State College, 2012
- Title III Grant Recipient, Writer and Teacher: World Literature Online, Macon State College, 2004
- Title III Grant Recipient, Writer: Online Writing Center, Macon State College, 2004
- Award for Excellence in Electronic Administration and Teaching, University of South Florida Dept. of English, 2002
- Alice Hearne Award for Outstanding Doctoral Candidate, University of South Florida Department of English, 2001
- The Provost’s Award for Outstanding Teaching by a Graduate Student, University of South Florida, 2000
- The Provost’s Commendation for Outstanding Teaching by a Graduate Student, University of South Florida, 1999
- Addison-Wesley, Longman Award for Teaching Excellence, USF Department of English, 1998
- Joseph Bentley Teaching Fellowship For Excellence in Teaching, USF Department of English, 1997
- Pass with Distinction M.A. and Ph.D. comprehensive exams, USF, 1997, 2001
- “Introduction to Digital Humanities.” Webinar via Blackboard Collaborate, MGA, Apr 2015.
- “Social Media: Top Ten Practices.” Webinar via Blackboard Collaborate, MGA, Apr 2015.
- “The Digital Mailer Project (DMP): A Proposal.” The Norman Mailer Society Conference, Wilkes-Barre, PA Oct 2014.
- “Social Media: Top Ten Practices for College Faculty.” Faculty Development Presentation via Blackboard Collaborate, MGSC, Nov 2013.
- “Energize Teaching with Social Media.” Bainbridge State College Faculty Convocation, Bainbridge, GA, Aug 2013.
- “Why Study Abroad?” Cultural Journeys Conference, Macon State College, Macon, GA, Mar 2012
- “Pastiche and Portraits in Photography” The Macon State College Arts Festival, Macon, GA, Mar 2011.
- “Edgar Allan Poe’s ‘Ligeia.’” The Macon State College English Studies Organization, Macon, GA, Oct 2009.
- “A Fine Time: Mailer Studies in the New Century.” The Norman Mailer Society Conference, Provincetown, MA, Oct 2006.
Selected Conference Presentations
- “Norman Mailer’s Short Fiction.” The Norman Mailer Society Conference, Macon, GA, Oct 2018.
- “Project Mailer 2015: A First-Year Update.” The Norman Mailer Society Conference, Provincetown, MA Oct 2015.
- “ ‘The White Negro’: Notes Toward a Digital Scholarly Edition.” The Norman Mailer Society Conference, Provincetown, MA, Oct 2015.
- “Breaking Bad: Walter White’s Hipster Transformation.” The Norman Mailer Society Conference, Wilkes-Barre, PA, Oct 2014.
- “Teaching Norman Mailer.” Roundtable Participant. The Norman Mailer Society Conference, Wilkes-Barre, PA Oct 2014.
- “Teaching Norman Mailer in the Cloud.” The Norman Mailer Society Conference, Sarasota, FL Oct 2013.
- “Norman Mailer’s Novel(ist): In and Beyond the Late Age of Print.” The Norman Mailer Society Conference, Provincetown, MA Oct 2012.
- “Cormac McCarthy’s Apocalypse: Signs and Maps Along The Road.” Southwest Texas PCA Conference, Albuquerque, NM Feb 2012.
- “Study Abroad: Local Challenges Facing the South.” SAMLA Roundtable, Atlanta, GA Nov 2011.
- “Cutting Up Mailer: the Novel 2.0.” The Norman Mailer Society Conference, Sarasota, FL Nov 2010.
- “Faust, Mailer, and the Comfort of Evil.” The Norman Mailer Society Conference, Washington D.C. Oct 2009.
- “Breaking the Girl: Poe’s ‘Ligeia’ and Lem’s Solaris.” PCA/ACA Conference, New Orleans, LA Apr 2009.
- “Southern Baptists, Norman Mailer, and Me.” The Norman Mailer Society Conference, Provincetown, MA Oct 2008.
- “The Harbors of the Moon: Media and the Mediated in Mailer’s An American Dream.” The Norman Mailer Society Conference, Provincetown, MA Oct 2007.
- “Visual Storytelling: Flickr in the Literature Classroom.” SAMLA, Charlotte, NC Nov 2006.
- “Science Fiction and the Metagame.” PCA/ACA, Atlanta, GA Mar 2006.
- “Humanities Online: Some Ethical Considerations and Recommendations.” Southeastern Scholarship Conference on E-Learning, Macon, GA Sep 2005.
- “Distance Education for Literature Courses: Some Ethical Considerations.” CCCC, San Francisco, CA Mar 2005.
- “The Virtual Manifest: Solaris and the Persistence of Memory.” Fantastic in the Arts Conference, Ft. Lauderdale, FL Mar 2004.
- “Three Views of Science: Lem’s, Tarkovsky’s, and Soderbergh’s Solaris.” FSU Literature and Film Conference, Tallahassee, FL Jan 2004.
- “Crossing Sexual Boundaries in Sterling’s Chattanooga Trilogy.” Popular Culture Association Conference, New Orleans, LA Apr 2003.
- “The Ethics of Cyberspace.” CCCC, Chicago, IL Mar 2002.
CIT/NMAC Coordinator, Macon State College, GA 2010-2012
Revised curriculum; rewrote courses; advised students and performed graduation audits; supervised internships; refit the Mac classroom; taught senior seminar and portfolio capstone;
Coordinator, USF English Department 1997-2002
Computer-Assisted Classroom, USF Department of English multimedia classroom; instructed students and faculty; maintained hardware, software, and network, and supported Windows 2000 workstations and Red Hat Linux workstations and servers
Selected Professional Activities
- Conference Organizer, The Norman Mailer Society Conference, Macon, GA, Oct 2018
- Vice President, The Norman Mailer Society, 2018-present
- Introduction and Discussion of Blade Runner, MGA, Oct 2015
- Chair/Moderator, The Norman Mailer Society Conference Oct 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018
- AP Exam Reader, Louisville, KY, May 2011, June 2015
- Grant Writer/Organizer, The Post-PC Project (AKA: The iTunes U Project), Academic Year 2012-2013
- Chair, “The Apocalypse in Popular Culture: Literal and Figurative Spaces of the Apocalypse” Southwest Texas PCA Conference, Albuquerque, NM, Feb 2012
- Chair, Roundtable on Study Abroad, SAMLA, Atlanta, GA, Nov 2011
- Executive Board Member, The Norman Mailer Society, Oct 2007-present
- Associate Editor / Media Editor, The Mailer Review Oct 2006-present
- Panel Chair, “From Vampires to Video Games: Cultural Anxiety and Science Fiction,” PCA/ACA, Atlanta, GA, Apr 2006
- Panel Chair, “J.G. Ballard,” Fantastic in the Arts, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Mar 2004
- Grant Recipient, Title III stipend to develop online literature class, Fall 2003
- Writer, MSC OWL Title III Grant Project, Fall 2002
Selected New Media Experience
- System Administrator, Ubuntu Linux Server for various projects and software evaluation, Since 2008
- Webmaster, Project Mailer, Nov 2014-present
- Webmaster, J. Michael Lennon, The biographer of Norman Mailer, Dec 2012-present
- Webmaster, The Norman Mailer Society, 2007-present
- Webmaster, The Mailer Review, Oct 2006-present
- System Admin, Humanities Moodle Server, 2006-2016
- Webmaster, Media, Culture & the Arts Web Site, 2002-2013
- Webmaster, LitWiki 2004-present
- Writer, Blog, 1995-present
- Writer, LitMUSE: A Courseware Site, 1999-2018
- Powerpoint Slide Designer, Technical Writing in the Twenty-first Century, Prentice Hall, Fall 2006
- Technical Support Faculty, Instructional Technologist @ MGA, 2003-2010
- Owner and Founder, MacTampa, 2000-2002
- Technical Support Specialist, USF Department of English, 1999-2000
Platforms Used for Teaching
MediaWiki; Medium; Wordpress; Buddypress; Sensei; Moodle; Twitter; Tumblr; Google+; LinkedIn; Disqus; Dropbox; Google Drive
Apple iOS; Macintosh OS and Server; Ubuntu and Debian Linux; FreeBSD UNIX; Windows
Programming and Web Design
Software, Apps, and Platforms
Inkling Habitat; Google Apps; Adobe Photoshop, GoLive/Dreamweaver, Acrobat, InDesign; Apple Final Cut Pro X, GarageBand, Keynote, Pages, and iBooks Author; Various Internet and multimedia authoring applications on various platforms
Selected University Service
- Graduate Studies Council, 2014-present
- Faculty Senate, 2016–2018
- Technology Resource Committee (Served as Secretary) 2006-2008; 2009-2010; 2014-2015
- Social Media Policy Committee Summer 2013
- MCA Web Site 2011-2014
- Post-Tenure Review 2010-2011; 2011-2012; 2012-2013
- Program Promotion Committee 2009-2010
- Long-Range Planning Committee 2008-2009
- Academic Personnel Policies Committee (Served as Secretary) 2005-2006
- Arts Committee, Division of Humanities MSC Spring 2005
- Search Committee, Spanish, Division of Humanities MSC 2004-2005
- Recorder, Collaborative Review of English Composition, MSC 2004
- Executive Committee, Macon State College (Served as Secretary) 2004-2005
- Search Committee, Three Positions in English, Division of Humanities MSC 2003-2004
- Chair, NMAC Search Committee — Successfully hired new tenure-track professor, 2013
- Faculty Member, Student Media Advisory Board, 2011-2012
- Photographer, Humanities Faculty 2006-2008
- Poster Designer, Arts Festival and miscellaneous events 2004-2010
- Chair, Technology Resource Committee 2007-2008
- Faculty Adviser, MSC Mac Users Group (MMUG) 2007-2008
- Faculty Consultant, Redesigning the Macon State College web site Fall 2004
- Founder/Organizer, Publish-or-Pasta — Peer Research Group for Humanities Faculty 2003-2006
- Senior Project Adviser — Rebecca Edwards 2008; Christopher Wheeler 2006; Hannah Marney 2005; Robert Malone 2005; Latitia Little 2003
- Community Organizer, Vineville Historic Neighborhood on Nextdoor 2012-2016
- Photographer, Crossroads Writers’ Conference, Macon GA, Oct 2008 & Mar 2010
- Speaker, “Teaching with Technology,” Rutland High School In-service Day, July 2008
- Web Master, Historic Vineville Neighborhood Association, Fall 2007-Fall 2008
- Event Coordinator, Georgia Science Olympiad, 2005-2013
- Judge, Houston County High School Reflections Creative Writing Contest, November 2004 & 2005
- Grader, Georgia Regents’ Exam, April 2004 & Nov 2006
The Norman Mailer Society; Modern Language Association; National Council for Teachers of English; Society for Literature and Science; Popular Culture Association
New Media Theory; Digital Humanities; Writing for Digital Media; World Literature: the epic genre, tragedy; Modern Continental Literature; Science Fiction; Futurism; Modern and Postmodern British, American, and Continental Literature; Literary Theory