Reading Questions for Poetry
From Gerald R. Lucas
- What do you know about speaker of this poem?
- Describe what is happening. What is the poem's central idea?
- What is the dominant tone or mood of the poem? How is it achieved?
- How would you describe the language of this poem?
- What words or phrases in the poem do you find especially effective?
- List some examples of figurative language (similes, metaphors, personification, metonomy). How do these devices relate to the theme of the poem?
- Does the poem include hyperbole, irony, or understatement? Give examples.
- Are there any meaningful sound repetitions?
- How would you identify the poem's meter and rhyme scheme(s)?