|Resources and Guides for|
TL;DR: Frequently Asked Questions (and answers) for the courses of Dr. Gerald Lucas.
Much information in my courses is either review or is necessary throughout the semester. Consult this general list of frequently asked questions for answers after you’ve checked your specific class syllabus. The best answers are on your class syllabus. Don’t see your question answered on this page? Try a search above.
- How do I contact you, Dr. Lucas?
- When and where are your office hours?
- What’s your email address, Dr. Lucas?
- Did you get my email, tweet, phone call, etc?
- How do I do well in your class?
- What are the liberal arts and why should I care?
- What is the essential information for doing well in your class?
- What are some behaviors that I should avoid in college?
- How do I check my grades?
- How do I take strong notes?
- What does each letter grade mean? (Or, why am I not making an A?!)
- I’m worried about my grade. Is there any extra credit I can do?
- What are the essential elements of strong college writing?
- Where can I get additional assistance with writing?
- What are some general tips to help me write in your class (or all my classes, for that matter)?
- What is plagiarism?
- What is the minimum I need to know when writing about literature?
- What does “research” and “response” entail?
- What is Reader-Response criticism?
- When my essay is finished and ready to submit, is there anything else I should do?
- How do I prepare a prospectus?
- What are some reasons for keeping a class journal?
- What are some general ways to get started writing about literature?
- How do I correctly quote verse in my writing?
- Are there any essential services I should use online?
- Are there any recommended apps that I should know about?
- How do I know if I’m ready to take an online course?
- What is the proper etiquette for corresponding online?
- How do I write in an online forum?
- How do I blog?
- What do I write about on my class blog?
- How do I comment online?
- How do I write on a wiki?
- How do I get started using Twitter?
- What is my class’ hashtag? Why do I need to use this?
- Now that I’m started, how do I use Twitter in class?
- What is Disqus and how do I use it?
- What’s the difference between Twitter and Disqus?
- How do I cite resources in digital documents?
- Do you have a study guide for New Media (NMAC 4460)?
- Do you have a reading list for New Media?
- Do you have a study guide for Norman Mailer?
- How do I read poetry?
- What is “active learning”?
- What is a portfolio and why should I keep one as a student?